Tuesday 15 March 2011

Stirrings...

I was rather excited yesterday morning to notice that the seeds I sowed last week are making their first tentative steps of growth.

This is the first of the peas ("Telephone") that I have sown. Actually there are 2, so it's a good start. I grew this variety the first year I had my garden and seemed to get a good crop, so these are "saved seeds" from a previous year. I love the thought of being able to supply your own seeds from things growing in your vegetable plot. Something for free can't be bad! I grew these babies up 6' canes, and they happily went all the way yo the top. I may investigate some 'pinching out' of the tips this time to keep them in check. I will be asking for guidance on that in the coming months!

Also, the Peas were accompanied by a showing from the Kale ("Scarlet") in the next seed tray. So as long as the remainder of the crops continue in this vein, I will be more than happy!

I spent a productive few hours down on the Plot, and started to get to grips with weeding one of the beds - which will hopefully contain (amongst other things no doubt!) Broad Beans, Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts, with some Marigolds and Foxgloves possibly thrown in for good measure. The planting combination along with the floral component, comes from ideas gleaned from Andrew Sankey's Companion Planting book that I mentioned before. If I get it right (!) then the plants should either work to support the growth of eachother or go some way to putting off the pests. We shall see - I have every faith in it!

In the bed that I managed to get weeded (well... to some degree...) I put in the first batch of First Early Potatoes ("Home Guard") - which will soon be followed by their Maincrop cousins. ("Cara"). These were actually the first things that I have actively planted down in The Church Lane Plot, so it was quite momentous really! In digging over the bed I clearly disturbed a current inhabitant - this gorgeous Bumble Bee. Although I was a bit shocked by the frantic 'buzzing', I don't think I had the wee chap, so I moved him over to a slightly more secluded bit of earth to go about his business. Back in the Garden, I also potted up a few of the "Home Guard" seed potatoes in a growing bag to see how they get on. And was even left with a bit of time to sit out in the garden in the (reasonably) warm setting sun. Who could ask for anything better than that to end the day!

4 comments:

  1. Gosh that is exciting- peas already?! Very organised

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work Stephen!! It's coming along nicely now. As for the seed saving, i have a few chilli "pretty in purple" and climbing bean "cherokee trail" seeds spare that i kept myself from last year if you want me to send you a few.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A day working on the plot like that at this time of year is always good.I've also seen a couple of bumble bees, which are a good sign! Flighty

    ReplyDelete
  4. It "appears" that it might be a good insect year, if the amount of bees and ladybirds is anything to go by. I'm trying to get on top of 'successional sowing' m.o.p - I will do some more seeds later as well. I normally end up with EVERYTHING happening at once ;-)

    Thanks for the seed offer Simon...the chilli "pretty in purple" sounds intriguing! But I don't think I've got anything of any interest to give in return - my current stock is all very bog-standard :-(

    ReplyDelete