Monday 14 March 2011

Sowing the seeds...

As I intended one of the functions of this Blog to be a "diary" to accurately record sowing, planting and harvesting times for my various crops - I'd better get on with it as I have started the process!

And as I have managed to find a few quiet minutes sitting outside in the slowly setting sun, what better use of my time :-)

Here is the current list of seeds that I have sown in propagators (I use the term advisedly!) on the windowsill, ready for planting out further down the line on the Plot. They were all sown on the 7th March 2011... for future reference.

OH - and I have some 1st Early potatoes that I've planted into a growing 'sack' outside, to see what happens. They are "Home Guard" for this year. As it's my first year of growing any great volume of Potatoes, I have no experience of this variety - so it will be a voyage of discovery! I'll be putting the rest down on the Plot along with the maincrop "Cara" which I have chitting happily indoors. They'll be in this week I think...

4 comments:

  1. I am trying Cara too this year. Am glad yours are still indoors chitting too. I was starting to get worried that I am miles behind...
    Is that scarlet kale, the Red Bor variety?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about timing Petra...it's always my small panic...whether I am leaving everything too late! But I am trying to be good and do a bit of successional sowing this year, so hopefully I will cover any mistakes by doing some too early, some too late, and others - just right!

    The Kale is "Scarlet" (Brassica oleracea var acephala Scarlet) - the link takes you to the details on Thompson & Morgans website. I haven't grown it before so I know no more than that, I'm afraid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew some Cara a couple of years ago and they were great potatoes.. good crop, and relatively disease and slug free. Not sure why i haven't grown them again to be honest??!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear that "Cara" is at least a reasonable starting point! I'll let you know how they get on...maybe it'll tempt you back to them next year ;-)

    ReplyDelete