Monday 21 February 2011

A local hottie...

Heading down to London this morning, I caught a report on the radio about "...the worlds hottest chilli..." and it pricked my ears as it had been grown in Lincolnshire and fairly locally - just a few miles from me in Grantham.

I must admit to not being a huge fan of hot chillis myself (although I am happy to grow and use them... just a little bit closer to the bottom of the Scoville Scale) and it is a little scary to see that this chilli is nearly as strong as weapons grade pepper spray. Crikey! There is a full report on it here on the BBC website. Have any of you ever tried anything THIS hot before? I'm far too cowardly...

I have some rather general chilli seeds which I will be using up this year, but fancied having a go at the pretty "Bishop's Kiss" chilli that Matron has been growing (she wrote about it recently on Down on the Allotment). Chillis come in such a wide variety of shapes, colours and sizes (and heats!) that it seems a shame not to give them a bit of room. Probably on the windowsill in the Church Lane Kitchen I think.

But - back to Infinity. The guy who has developed this killer chilli is Nick Woods of Fire Foods. I'm very happy to promote and support small, family-run, local businesses... although I might not be doing much shopping at Fire Foods myself!

5 comments:

  1. Nick woods was on tv sunday morning i think with his hottest ever chilli's.... waaay too hot for me too, although i do like a kick in my food! :) That "Bishops kiss" chilli looks good Stephen... is it particularly hot?
    I'm trying seven varieties this year.. they will be on my blog in the next week or so :)
    Simon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not tried the Bishop's Kiss chill Simon, so if I ever get round to it - I'll let you know if it's a bit of a demon!! I'm afraid I won't be able to compete with your 7 varieties... probably just the one this year, but it's a start ;-)

    Stephen
    on The Church Lane Plot

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the chilli front. I don't see the point of having something so hot. I think I'm growing 5 different types of chilli this year, not that I've got room for that many. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad I'm not the only one Rob! Where do you grow your chilli plants out of interest? (and you Simon...) My previous attempts have been a little bit of a damp squib, so I could probably do with stealing some "best practice" from you guys!

    Stephen
    on The Church Lane Plot

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grow most of mine in the greenhouse, although i did grow some outside last year that did surprisingly well. It was a variety called 'Nigels outdoor chilli' from the real seed company, and it grew really well in the garden. I had a few Jalapeno's in pots outside too... but they were a complete disaster.

    ReplyDelete