Sunday 27 February 2011

A little ash, a little soil, a little flour...

Nope - it's not an odd recipe that I've picked up to use in The Church Lane Kitchen!

I did manage to do a little work on the plot today between some rather heavy rain showers. Just a bit more digging-over of various parts of the plot, and establishing the remaining beds. Hopefully over the next few days I will have that job completed, and what with the majority of the hedgerow a little more under control, I will be able to focus on weeding/sorting each bed to make it a little more 'seedling friendly'. That was the soil part.

The ash part was to spread the remains of the bonfire I had the other day into the beds that I have already created... specifically round the gooseberries and in the bed I've planned for potatoes. Monty Don wrote a discourse on his use of bonfires and ash here which is quite a good read. Although I thought I dealt with about a tonne of cuttings from the hedges, it appears to have become no more than a few spade-fuls of wood ash. Oh well, all gratefully received and recycled into the plot. So there we have the ash bit.

Flour? Surely I can't already be milling my own flour from the plot - I've only had it for a few weeks!! Sadly, that's correct. And to be honest, I am not sure I have quite the room I would need to grow a sufficient amount of wheat or ba(neither, for that matter, do I own a mill!).

I dropped into Cogglesford Mill this afternoon to pick up some flour. It's always a great feeling if you are making some homemade bread to know that the major ingredient has been grown and produced locally, and the 'food miles'have been kept to a minimum. In this case the mill is all of about 4 miles away from The Church Lane Kitchen, so not too bad. I didn't have time to have a proper visit to the Mill today, but having been before, I can certainly recommend it if you are in the Sleaford, Lincs. area. It isn't huge so won't take up your whole day, but has a lot of interesting information, artefacts and photographs of the Mill and it's history. The Heart of Lincs website blurb says:

In a picturesque setting by the River Slea, this award winning, fully restored and working water mill is thought to be the only Sheriff's Watermill still operating in England. Millers have produced flour on this site for over a thousand years. Organic stone ground flour still produced in the mill is sold in the shop, together with locally sourced goods and produce. Special events and working days are held throughout the year.

So if you're passing - why not drop in?

Right, must get on with making that bread!!

Stephen
in The Church Lane Kitchen

4 comments:

  1. Gosh that flour look fabulous- reminds me I haven't baked a loaf in months xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't baked one in ages either. I'm far from an expert, so it's a learning curve. Always tasty, but sometimes a bit lacking in the "looks" department! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bake bread occasionally... and i love the idea of using the local flour!! I use the river cottage bread book as my mentor... and it usually looks something like the pictures (well i think so anyway :)
    I need to spread the wood ash from my bonfire as soon as it dries out a bit... it's soooo wet underfoot here at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may have to get that one Simon, as I think my technique leaves a lot to be desired!

    ReplyDelete